11.07.2011

Gratitude 101

November. Thanksgiving. The month for being grateful for all that we have. But what about after November 30th?

I serve in the Young Womens organization at church and last week I had a young woman challenge us to start a gratitude journal. Each day writing one thing that we are grateful for. She told us about how it has affected her life, and completely changed her attitude about many things.

What she had to say really prompted me to step up to the challenge. That night when I got home, I started right away. I had so many things racing through my mind. Just writing one per night may be hard. I could write a book on it all. The first week of course started out with the following: My daughter, my husband, my parents, eternal families, my health, my home, my beliefs.

I think most peoples lists would all start off sounding similar to mine. But this got me to thinking. Do you realize exactly how truly blessed we are. We have so very much to be thankful for. The small things that we take for granted. Things like: clean drinking water, modern medicine, 5 working senses, electricity, a full pantry, shoes on my feet, a working car. And I never thought I would say a job. As much as I hate not being at home 24/7 with my baby. I truly am grateful for a job. It provides a sufficient income. My family and I are financially stable and able to do what we want and not be tied down.

So many things, I really could go on and on. But just this week, I have already noticed a difference in my attitude. I'm so glad I took this challenge and I hope I can keep it up. It also has helped me tremendously with ideas for my talk in church I've been asked to give in a couple weeks. Topic? Gratitude!

Wish me luck.
Photobucket

0 comments: